BCTHS Chorus – for audition information please scroll down to BCTHS CHORUS 2017-18 AUDITION REQUIREMENTS.
*NEW CANDIDATES FOR 2017-2018 WILL TAKE THE SIXTEEN (16) BEST SCORES, IN ROUGHLY EQUAL VOICE PART DISTRIBUTION, TO OFFSET THE NUMBER OF GRADUATED CHORUS MEMBERS.
*Current members in good standing may continue in Chorus without audition.
Incoming freshmen interested in auditioning should come to Room 104 for an appointment with Mr. Pfaff during the first full week of school.
Chorus membership rules and regulations:
1. Selected students who accept a placement must commit to rehearsals during the 2nd half of lunch periods on Tuesdays and Fridays. Chorus is a 2.5 credit class and attendance is mandatory.
2. Current Chorus members in good standing are permitted to continue without having to audition again.
3. Chorus members must commit to performance dates. These dates are typically scheduled no later than September. Performances are a requirement of the class.
4. Endorsements to audition for County or Regional ensembles are at the sole discretion of Mr. Pfaff. Mr. Pfaff endorses exceptional student musicians for MEBCI County Chorus, County Band, and NJSMA Region I HS Chorus, Band and Orchestra. All endorsements for these ensembles require extra service, time and travel on the part of each sending director. For this reason, Mr. Pfaff cannot additionally commit to endorsing for ensembles beyond the ones mentioned, i.e. NJMEA All-State ensembles, IAJE ensembles, NJSMA JHS, or others.
All endorsements for auditions are at instructor discretion.
BCTHS Chorus is entirely by audition, due to limited space and overwhelming demand. In the interest of fairness, all auditions are recorded and reviewed.
Those who do best in auditions tend to have choral experience, either through their school or an organization outside of school. Choral singing is different from individual or solo singing -- it can require a different kind of listening from each member and an ongoing effort to blend your sound with others, rather than stand apart.
We find that many of our strongest members have experience on piano or another instrument, and can read music. Music reading opens up a world of new material to any musician and speeds up the learning process considerably.
POINTS TO REMEMBER ABOUT AUDITIONING:
1) All materials are available from this site and are linked below. There is no need to search the web for additional resources.
2) Please prepare ALL components of the audition. Direct any questions to me (email@example.com or 201-343-6000 xt 5148) BEFORE school begins in September.
3) Audition is not a guarantee of placement.
BCTHS CHORUS 2017-18 AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
1) Five-Note Patterns: Perform a pair of five-note patterns appropriate to your voice part: Soprano, Alto, Baritone (high), Baritone (low) or Bass. Patterns should be sung on the syllable “ah” in one breath (no break). Mp3 recordings of all patterns and a .pdf file with all patterns in standard notation are provided at the directory linked below (Note: two sets of Baritone parts are indicated instead of a Tenor part because most 3-part singing at the middle school level would be Soprano-Alto-Baritone, and I encourage singers to try out the various parts to determine where they feel the most comfortable. I find that those who should sing Tenor will emerge naturally, and should find the high Baritone patterns easy to match).
2) Perform the solo song “The Water is Wide, “ which is provided in standard notation and mp3 for all voice parts at the directory linked below. Do not embellish or change the written notation for your performance – I am listening for accuracy, not originality!
3) Tonal Memory: At the audition, the student will hear a 4-measure melody on a recording, twice. He/she will also be able to see the 4-measure melody in standard notation. After hearing the example twice, the student will sing the 4-measure melody on the syllable “la.”